Of all the reasons to come to Maine this is by far my favorite; biking the carriage trails of Acadia. The hills are deceiving and I’m in awe of people who just fly by me. Today we did a 9 mile loop with a stop at Jordan Pond House for some pop overs.
Route: We parked at Bubble Pond, headed up to the Jordan Pond loop, went by Jordan Pond House, then around the mountain, down the backside of Eagle Lake and then back up to the Bubbles parking area.
Observations along the way:
- I bike up hills at 3-4 mph
- Stopping for longer than a minute after mile 5 garnered much longer start ups
- 65 degree weather and cloudy is perfect for me for biking
- Pack a small point and shoot camera
- Get an extra battery pack for the iPhone
- Listening to the Crystal Method for most of the trip seriously kept me moving?
- First ride of the season, 9 miles
- Did not have to stop on the hills, just went slow and steady
- Did not stress about hills, but accepted them and chose to conquer them
We managed to time our ride perfectly again to bump into the horse and carriage teams leaving the stables with their passengers. Each group waved to us and said Hi.
As always I loved the ride, had a great time and wish I could do it every weekend. A slightly easier version would be nice everyday to get to work.
We had fun later in the trip where we seemed to be the only ones on the trail and we shot some video. Craig is going to be compiling it into something fun to watch and I’ll post when he does.